CHILLED BLACKBERRY CHICKEN SALAD
Outdoor Dutch Oven Cookbook
by Sheila Mills
A favorite of Allison Lawrence of Boise, Idaho, my cousin and former river guide.
Yield: 4 servings
• 1/2 cup raspberry or balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 cup blackberry jam
• 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 4 4-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 4 ounces mixed baby greens
• 1 pint blackberries
• 1½ ounces crumbled mild goat cheese, such as Montrachet
• 1/2 cup snipped fresh chives
• salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine vinegar, jam, mustard, and sugar. Blend with a fork until smooth. Pour half of the dressing over chicken in shallow dish. Turn the chicken to coat evenly. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes, or up to one hour.
Coat grill with oil. Grill the chicken for 6 minutes on each side. Transfer to a cutting surface and let stand for 5 minutes before cutting crosswise into thin slices.
Mix greens with reserved dressing and divide among four plates. Sprinkle evenly with berries. Top with chicken slices. Garnish with goat cheese and chives, dividing evenly. Season with salt and pepper.