BALSAMIC CHICKEN AND BROWN RICE SALAD
• 1 recipe Balsamic Vinaigrette (recipe below)
• Nonfat cooking spray
• 3 skinless and boneless chicken breast halves
• 1 15.5 oz. can green beans, French-cut, drained
• 2 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
• 1 cup shredded red cabbage
• 1 medium carrot, shredded
• 1 green onion, sliced
• Lettuce leaves (optional)
1. Preheat broiler. Adjust oven rack to about 4-5 inches from heat.
2. Place 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette in a bowl then brush chicken halves on each side.
3. Spray a broiler pan with cooking spray then place chicken on pan. Place pan on oven rack and cook chicken for about 15 minutes or until no longer pink in the thickest part of the meat and juices run clear. Turn halves to other side halfway through the time to ensure even cooking. Cut chicken into 1/4-inch slices and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, toss together the green beans, rice, cabbage, carrot and green onion. Add remaining vinaigrette and toss until well-coated.
5. Place lettuce leaves on salad plates. Add a serving of the rice mixture in the center and top with chicken slices.
Makes about 1/2 cup
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 1/2 teaspoon water
Place vinaigrette ingredients in an airtight container and shake until combined or use a whisk to combine in a bowl then set aside.
Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount per serving
Calories from fat 117
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 34 mg
Sodium 151 mg
Total Carbohydrates 18 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 17 g
Vitamin A 65%
Vitamin C 25%
King County Washington Public Health