RUSTIC MARINARA SAUCE
A rich and flavorful chunky marinara sauce with a slow-simmered old-world taste.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 90 minutes Makes: 5 cups (1/2 cup sauce per serving)
• 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
• 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
• 2 tablespoons dry red wine
• 1 can (28 oz each) Hunt’s® Whole Peeled Tomatoes, undrained and hand crushed or cut into small pieces
• 1 can (28 oz each) Hunt’s® Petite Diced Tomatoes, undrained
• 1/3 cup Hunt’s® Tomato Paste
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
• Hot cooked pasta and thinly sliced fresh basil, optional
Place oil in large saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until hot.
Add onion and cook 2 minutes or until onion begins to soften, stirring several times.
Add garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, or until aromatic.
Add parsley, basil and wine; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until wine is reduced by half.
Add undrained hand-crushed tomatoes, undrained diced tomatoes and tomato paste; blend.
Bring just to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Stir in salt and pepper.
Serve sauce with pasta and basil, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Hunt’s Tomatoes (hunts.com)