FoodReference.com (since 1999)
RECIPE SECTION - Over 10,000 Recipes
Home | Articles | Food_Trivia | Today_in_Food_History | Food_Timeline | Recipes | Cooking_Tips | Videos | Food_Quotes | Who’s_Who | Culinary_Schools_& Tours | Food_Trivia_Quizzes | Food Poems | Free_Magazines | Food Festivals & Events
You are here > Home >
and other Publications
An extensive selection of free food, beverage & agricultural magazines, e-books, etc.
Culinary Schools & Cooking Classes
From Amateur & Basic Cooking Classes to Professional Chef Training & Degrees
More than 1,000 schools & classes listed for all 50 States, Online and Worldwide
by Rose Elliot
I adapted this salad from one served by Chef Robert Bruce in New Orleans. It has a very warming, festive feel.
Preparation 10 minutes, plus marinating
• 1/3 cup dried cherries
• 2 tablespoons sherry, port, or other fortified wine
• 1 large lettuce, torn, or about 12 cups mixed salad leaves
• 2 oz blue Stilton, crumbled
• 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
For the cinnamon dressing
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
• 2 teaspoons superfine sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• Tabasco, salt, and pepper, to taste
1. Put the dried cherries into a small container, cover with the sherry or port and set aside to plump up - if you can leave them for a few hours, so much the better.
2. To make the dressing, beat together the olive oil, raspberry vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, and several drops of Tabasco - enough to give it a good kick - and some salt and pepper.
3. Put the lettuce or salad leaves into a bowl with the Stilton, almonds, and cherries, together with any of their liquid that remains. Drizzle over the cinnamon dressing and toss gently. Serve at once.
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright. Please take the time to request permission.