RANCH SALAD DRESSING
One recipe of this relatively thick dressing will coat 3 quarts (6 servings) of salad greens. Sturdy greens such as romaine and iceberg are ideal partners with this dressing.
• 1/2 small clove garlic, peeled
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 small red bell pepper, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
• 1 medium scallion, white and green parts, minced
• 1 small shallot, minced (about 1/2 tablespoon)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley leaves
• 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
• 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
• Pinch ground black pepper
• 1/4 cup buttermilk
• 1/4 cup mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons sour cream
1. Roughly chop the garlic, then sprinkle it with the salt. With a chef's knife, turn the garlic and salt into a smooth paste.
2. Mix the garlic paste, bell pepper, scallion, shallot, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, and black pepper together in a medium bowl. Add the buttermilk, mayonnaise, and sour cream and whisk until smooth. (The dressing can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days.)