GRILLED THAI BEEF SALAD
If you like full-frontal flavor, you are going to love this dish. The steak is marinated in a mixture that covers every angle—spicy, sweet, tangy, and salty—then it is grilled to caramelized perfection, sliced thin, and tossed with tender lettuce and fresh herbs. The robust marinade flavors are used in the dressing to give the salad a one-two punch. The result is so powerfully mouthwatering, it is sure to knock you out.
Serving Size: 2 1/2 Cups
• 1 pound top-round London broil or flank steak, 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick
• 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
• 3 tablespoons canola oil
• 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
• 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
• 1 1/4 teaspoons red curry paste or chili-garlic sauce
• Cooking spray
• 1/2 head red-leaf lettuce, torn (about 5 cups lightly packed)
• 3 shallots, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
• 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
• 1 cup fresh basil leaves, sliced into ribbons
Rinse the meat and pat dry and place in a scalable plastic bag or small glass dish. In a medium bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, the soy sauce, oil, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and red curry paste. Pour half the mixture into the bag with the meat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice to the bag. Seal tightly and marinate the meat in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight, turning occasionally. Reserve the rest of the mixture to dress the salad.
Coat a grate or a grill pan with cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat until hot. Grill the steak until medium-rare, about 5 minutes per side, or to your desired degree of doneness. Let it rest for 5 minutes until room temperature, then slice thinly against the grain.
Combine the lettuce, shallots (reserving a few slices for garnish), cilantro, basil, and beef in a large salad bowl. Add the reserved dressing and toss to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates and garnish with the sliced shallots.
Per Serving: Calories: 345; Total Fat: 18.5g (Mono: 9g, Poly: 3g, Sat: 4.5g); Protein: 33g; Carb: 12g; Fiber: 1g; Chol: 1mg; Sodium: 440mg
Excellent Source Of: Iron, Niacin, Phosphorus, Protein, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12
Good Source Of: Folate, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Vitamin C, Vitamin E