FoodReference.com (Since 1999)
RECIPE SECTION - Over 10,000 Recipes
Home | Articles | Food_Trivia | Today_in_Food_History | Food_Timeline | RECIPES | Cooking_Tips | Videos | Food_Quotes | Who’s_Who | Culinary_Schools & Tours | Food_Trivia_Quizzes | Food_Poems | Free_Magazines | Food_Festivals & Shows
and other Publications
An extensive selection of free food, beverage & agricultural magazines, e-books, etc.
Recipe Videos, BBQ & Grilling, Food Safety, Food Science, Food Festivals, Beverages, Vintage Commercials, etc.
See also: Classic Baked Alaska Recipe
Article on Baked Alaska History
(Allow 24 hours to Freeze)
4 eggs (separated)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup key lime juice
1/2 gallon brick vanilla ice cream
1/2 teaspoon. cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
grated chocolate or toasted almonds
1. Beat egg yolks. Blend in sweetened condensed milk. Add lime juice.
2. Cut ice cream into 1" slices. Arrange one-half of the slices on bottom of loaf pan. Pour egg mixture over this. Top with layer of remaining ice cream. Freeze overnight.
3. Unmold on brown paper and replace in freezer for 15 minutes*
4. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar, until very stiff.
Gradually add sugar and beat. Frost ice cream mold with the meringue (about 1/2" thick.) Sprinkle with chocolate or almonds.
5. Place on a bread board (the reason for this - so heat won't melt ice cream on bottom of mold.) Bake in 500° oven 5 minutes, watching carefully.
*NOTE: Before frosting, the mold may be kept in the freezer indefinitely, allowing you to use just the amount needed and save the rest for another time. After frosting, it will keep in the freezer nicely for 2 days before baking.
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.