MINI TURKEY MEAT LOAVES WITH RED PEPPER SAUCE
Food & Wine Annual Cookbook 2008
Food & Wine Magazine
Active: 45 min
Total: 1 Hr 30 min
• 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 medium carrot, very finely chopped
• 1 medium celery rib, very finely chopped
• 1 medium garlic clove, very finely chopped
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper
• 1½ pounds ground lean turkey, white meat only
• 2 large egg whites
• 1/2 cup panko
• 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
• 3 red bell peppers, sliced
• 1 thyme sprig
• 1/2 cup water
• 1 tablespoon half-and-half
• 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
• Cooked wild rice, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly oil two 6-by-3½-inch metal loaf pans. In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the chopped carrot, celery, garlic and two- thirds of the chopped onion; season with salt and white pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
2. Add the ground turkey and cooked vegetables to a large bowl. Add the egg whites, panko, cottage cheese, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper. Knead until blended and divide the meatloaf mixture between the pans. Place the pans on a baking sheet and bake in the upper third of the oven for 35 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F. Remove the meat loaves from the oven and preheat the broiler.
3. Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat 2 table- spoons of the olive oil. Add two-thirds of the sliced red peppers, the remaining chopped onion and the thyme sprig. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the vegetables are softened, 10 minutes. Add the water, cover and simmer until the peppers are very tender, 7 minutes. Discard the thyme sprig. Carefully transfer the con- tents of the skillet to a blender, add the half-and-half and puree. Season with salt and white pepper.
4. In a skillet, heat the remaining 1 table- spoon of olive oil. Add the remaining sliced red and yellow peppers and cook over moderate heat until softened, 10 minutes. Sea- son with salt and white pepper.
5. Broil the meat loaves 4 inches from the heat until browned, 2 minutes. Turn the loaves out onto a plate and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Spoon some of the pepper sauce onto plates. Top with the meat loaf and peppers, then serve with wild rice and the remaining sauce.
Make Ahead: The red pepper sauce can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently before serving.
Wine: Juicy, fresh Dolcetto.