TURKEY WITH 7-GRAIN BREAD AND SQUASH STUFFING
Squash, kale and smoke-flavored almonds are combined with 7-grain bread cubes for the stuffing.
Cooking Method: Bake
Prep Time: Over an hour
Cooking Time: Over one hour
Makes: 16 servings (6 ounces turkey and 1/2 cup stuffing each)
• 10 Healthy Choice 7-Grain Bread slices (15 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
• 1/3 cup Fleischmann's Original-stick
• 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
• 1 cup chopped celery
• 4 cups moderately packed chopped fresh kale
• 1 medium butternut squash, (about 1½ pounds), peeled, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage, or 2 teaspoons rubbed dried
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup smoke-flavored almonds, (from 6-ounce can), chopped
• 1 can (14.5 ounce) Butterball Chicken Broth
• 1 Butterball Turkey, (16 pounds), thawed if frozen
• fresh sage leaves, (optional)
• PAM Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread bread cubes onto bottom of large shallow baking pan. Bake 30 minutes, or until lightly browned and dried, stirring occasionally.
Melt Fleischmann's in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir 5 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Add kale and squash; stir to combine. Cover; cook 6 minutes, or until kale wilts, stirring occasionally. Stir in chopped sage, salt and pepper.
Place browned bread cubes in large bowl. Add vegetable mixture, almonds and broth; toss to combine.
Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey; refrigerate for another use or discard. Drain juices from turkey; pat dry with paper towels. Fill neck cavity with part of the stuffing. Turn wings back to hold neck skin against back of turkey. Fill body cavity completely with stuffing. If desired, loosen skin from breast by carefully working fingers under skin over breast. Place several whole sage leaves on breast under skin. Secure edge of skin with toothpicks. Place turkey, breast up, on flat roasting rack in shallow roasting pan. Spray turkey with cooking spray.
Bake 4 to 4½ hours, or until meat thermometer reaches 160°F when inserted in center of stuffing and reaches 180°F when inserted in deepest part of thigh, covering breast and tops of drumsticks with aluminum foil after 2½ hours to prevent overcooking of breast. Let stand 15 minutes before removing stuffing and carving.
Recipe courtesy of ButterBall.com