STUFFED TURKEY BREAST
Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic Cookbook:
Slow-Cooker Favorites to Include Everyone! by Phyllis Good
Jean Butzer, Batavia, NY
Makes 12 servings
(Ideal slow cooker size: 5-6-quart)
• 1/4 cup margarine, melted
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
• 2½-oz. pkg. croutons with real bacon bits
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 2 Tbsp. fresh minced parsley
• 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
• 1 whole uncooked turkey breast, or 2 halves (about 5 lbs.), skin and visible fat removed
• salt to taste
• pepper to taste
• 24" x 26" piece of cheesecloth for each breast half
• dry white wine
1. Combine margarine, onion, celery, croutons, broth, parsley, and poultry seasoning
2. Cut turkey breast in thick slices from breastbone to rib cage, leaving slices attached to bone (crosswise across breast).
3. Sprinkle turkey with salt and pepper.
4. Soak cheesecloth in wine. Place turkey on cheesecloth. Stuff bread mixture into slits between turkey slices. Fold one end of cheesecloth over the other to cover meat. Place on metal rack or trivet in 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
5. Cover. Cook on Low 7-9 hours or until tender. Pour additional wine over turkey during cooking.
6. Remove from pot and remove cheesecloth immediately. If you prefer the breast to be browner, remove from pot and brown in 400° oven for 15-20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing through and serving.
Variation: Thicken the drippings, if you wish, for gravy. Mix together 3 Tbsp. comstarch and 1/4 cup cold water. When smooth, stir into broth (with turkey removed from cooker). Turn cooker to High and stir until comstarch paste is dissolved. Allow to cook for about 10 minutes, until broth is thickened and smooth.
Exchange List Values: Starch 0.5, Meat, very lean 5.0, Fat 0.5
Basic Nutritional Values: Calories 216 (Calories from Fat 57), Total Fat 6 gm (Saturated Fat 1.0 gm, Polyunsat Fat 1.4 gm, Monounsat Fat 2.4 gm, Cholesterol 89 mg), Sodium 341 mg, Total Carbohydrate 5 gm, Dietary Fiber 1 gm, Sugars 1 gm, Protein 34 gm