GERMAN POTATO SALAD 2
Best Potato Salad Potatoes: Potato salad lovers know the secret to perfect potato salad—it starts with the potatoes! Round red or round white potatoes are best because they are a waxy variety, holding their shape after cooking. Starchy potatoes (long white), like Idaho and russets, have a fluffy texture after cooking so can become too soft and mushy for potato salad.
Prep: 10 min - Cook: 55 min
• 4 medium round red or white potatoes (1 1/3 lb)
• 3 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
• 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
• Dash of pepper
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/4 cup white or cider vinegar
1. Place potatoes in 3-quart saucepan; add enough water just to cover potatoes. Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cook covered 30 to 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch slices.
2. In 10-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
3. Cook onion in bacon fat in skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in flour, sugar, salt, celery seed and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat.
4. Stir water and vinegar into onion mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat.
5. Stir in potatoes and bacon. Heat over medium heat, stirring gently to coat potato slices, until hot and bubbly. Serve warm.
1 SERVING (About 2/3 Cup): Cal 120 (Cal. From Fat 20); Fat 2g (Sat. Fat 1g); Chol. 5mg; Sodium 250mg; Carbs 22g (Fiber 3g); Pro. 3g
% DAILY VALUE: Vit. A 0%; Vit. C 10%; Calc. 2%; Iron 10%
EXCHANGES: 1 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 1/2 Fat
CARB. CHOICES: 1 1/2
SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS
Increase flour to 2 tablespoons. Decrease water to 1/3 cup. Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch slices. Cook and drain bacon; refrigerate. In 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker, mix all ingredients except bacon. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until potatoes are tender. Stir in bacon.