SCARLET RUNNER AND TOMATO ORZO SALAD WITH OREGANO LEMON VINAIGRETTE
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours
Makes 12 servings.
• 1 cup dried heirloom beans, such as Scarlet Runner, Christmas Lima, Scarlet Emperor or Black Valentine
• 1/2 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
• 1 1/2 cups orzo
• 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
• 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
• 2 cups grape tomato halves
• 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
• 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
• 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
• 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
• 4 teaspoons lemon juice
• 2 teaspoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Mexican Oregano Leaves
• 1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Sicilian Sea Salt
• 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Coarse Grind Black Pepper
1. Soak and cook heirloom beans as directed on package until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Prepare ice water bath in large bowl; set aside. Bring large saucepan of salted water to boil on high heat. Add green beans; cook 1 minute. Immediately transfer green beans with slotted spoon to ice water to stop cooking process. Drain green beans; set aside. Return saucepan of salted water to boil on high heat. Add orzo; cook as directed on package. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2 minutes or until slightly softened. Add tomatoes, green beans and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tomatoes soften slightly. Remove skillet from heat. Add cooked orzo, cooked beans, feta cheese, pine nuts, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, lemon peel, lemon juice, oregano, sea salt and pepper; toss to mix well. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
* To prepare with Canned Beans: Omit Step 1 and substitute 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, kidney beans or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed, for the heirloom beans. Add to the skillet with the cooked orzo.
Recipe from McCormick® - Spices & Seasonings