SPICY SAUSAGE HUMMUS WITH TOASTED PITA TRIANGLES
· 6 ounces spicy Italian sausage, cooked, crumbled and drained
· 1 7-ounce container hummus
· 1/2 cup sour cream
· 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
· 2 tablespoons chopped oil-cured olives
· 1 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
· 1/2 of 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, diced
· 4 green onions, chopped, including some green
· 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
· 4 6-inch pita breads
In medium bowl, stir together hummus, sour cream and cayenne pepper; spread evenly on a 10-inch serving plate. Sprinkle with remaining ingredients in this order: olives, artichoke, sausage, roasted pepper, onion and feta.
Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Split pita breads in half horizontally; cut each round into six wedges. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until crisp. Serve with dip.
Quick-Serving Tip: Serve with crackers or breadsticks instead of pita triangles.
Southwestern Variation: Substitute mashed black or pinto beans for hummus, crushed chipotle chiles for cayenne, chorizo for Italian sausage, diced avocado for olives, queso anejo for feta and halved cherry tomatoes for roasted peppers. Serve with tortilla chips.
This spicy appetizer looks complicated, but can be assembled earlier in the day and refrigerated until serving time.
Calories 170 calories; Protein 7 grams; Fat 9 grams; Sodium 420 milligrams; Cholesterol 15 milligrams; Saturated Fat 3 grams; Carbohydrates 17 grams
Recipe courtesy of National Pork Board. For more information about The Other White Meat, visit TheOtherWhiteMeat.com