SPICED GRILLED TURKEY BREAST
Good Housekeeping Grill It!
Editors of Good Housekeeping
Soaking a whole turkey breast overnight in a spiced salt solution, or brine, produces exceptionally tender and flavorful meat. You can also brine a whole chicken before roasting. Serve with Peach Salsa (recipe below).
Prep: 35 Minutes Plus Brining And Standing
Grill: About 25 Minutes
Makes 12 Servings
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup kosher salt
• 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
• 2 tablespoons ground ginger
• 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
• 1 whole boneless turkey breast (about 4 pounds), skin removed and breast cut in half
• 4 garlic cloves, crushed with side of chef's knife
• Peach Salsa (below)
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 1 chipotle Chile in adobo, minced
• 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1. Prepare turkey: In 2-quart saucepan, heat sugar, salt, pepper, ginger, cinnamon, and t cup water to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in 3 cups ice water.
2. Place turkey breast in large ziptight plastic bag; add brine and garlic. Seal bag, pressing out excess air. Place bag in bowl and refrigerate breast, turning occasionally, 24 hours.
3. Prepare outdoor grill for covered direct grilling over medium heat.
4. Meanwhile, prepare glaze: In small bowl, stir honey, mustard, chipotle, and vinegar until blended. Set aside.
5. Remove turkey from bag; discard brine and garlic. With paper towels, pat turkey dry and brush off most of pepper. With long-handled basting brush, oil grill rack. Place turkey on hot rack over medium heat. Cover grill and cook turkey, turning once, 20 minutes. Brush turkey with glaze and cook 5 to 10 minutes longer (depending on thickness of breast), brushing and turning frequently, until temperature on meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of breast reaches 165°F. (Internal temperature will rise 5°F upon standing.) Place turkey on cutting board and let rest 10 minutes to set juices for easier slicing.
6. While turkey rests, prepare Peach Salsa (below).
7. Serve turkey hot, or cover and refrigerate to serve cold.
Each serving turkey: About 170 calories, 34g protein, 4g carbohydrate, 1g total fat (0g saturated), 94mg cholesterol, 555mg sodium.
Prep: 15 Minutes
Makes About 4 Cups
• 3 pounds ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 1 green onion, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 1 small hot red pepper such as cayenne, seeded and minced
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
In medium bowl, stir peaches, green onion, lime juice, hot pepper, and salt until mixed.
Peach Salsa Nutrition
Each 1/4 cup: About 30 calories, 1g protein, 7g carbohydrate, 0g total fat (0g saturated), 75mg sodium.