FENNEL SAUERKRAUT WITH TURKEY SAUSAGE & POTATOES
EatingWell Serves Two by Jim Romanoff
Inspired by the Alsatian classic choucroute garni, this comforting, one-pot meal takes a shortcut with bagged shredded cabbage. Serve topped with additional brown mustard, if you like.
Makes 2 Servings.
Total: 35 minutes
• 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 6 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage links
• 3/4 cup 1/2-inch diced red potatoes
• 2 cups packaged shredded cabbage, preferably "angel hair" style
• 1 small bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced, plus 1 tablespoon chopped feathery tops
• 1 small onion, sliced
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
• 1½ teaspoons brown or whole-grain mustard
1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, turning often, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a cutting board and slice into 1/2-inch pieces. (The sausage will not be thoroughly cooked, but it will continue cooking later.)
2. Add the remaining I teaspoon oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add cabbage, sliced fennel, onion, garlic powder, fennel seed and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the cabbage has wilted slightly, about 3 minutes more.
3. Add broth, vinegar and mustard. Stir to incorporate the mustard; bring to a simmer. Place the sausage on top of the cabbage mixture; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in chopped fennel fronds and serve.
Tips for Two
CABBAGE STORAGE: Refrigerate for up to 1 week.
USES: Add to salads or soup; use in cole slaw.
Per Serving: 311 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 52 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrate; 19 g protein; 7 g fiber; 825 mg sodium; 731 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Potassium (21%dv), lron (20%dv).