CIDER MARINATED TURKEY
The Taste of Home Cookbook
New Revised 2nd Edition
Make Thanksgiving dinner memorable by serving this golden-brown turkey that's marinated in apple cider, kosher salt and spices.
Wendy Stenman, Germantown, Wisconsin
Prep: 20 min. + marinating
Grill: 2 hours + standing
Yield: 12 servings plus leftovers.
• 8 cups apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
• 1/2 cup kosher salt
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 sprigs fresh thyme
• 8 whole cloves
• 5 garlic cloves
• 1 teaspoon whole allspice, crushed
• 2 medium navel oranges, quartered
• 3 quarts cold water
• 1 turkey (12 pounds)
• 1 medium onion, quartered
• 2 medium carrots, halved and quartered
• 2 sprigs fresh sage or 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
1) In a large kettle, combine the cider and the seasonings. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir until salt is dissolved. Stir in oranges. Remove from the heat. Add water; cool to room temperature.
2) Remove giblets from turkey; discard. Place a turkey-size oven roasting bag inside a second roasting bag; add turkey. Place in a roasting pan.
3) Carefully pour the cooled marinade into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 12-14 hours; turn several times.
4) Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting grill. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Drain and discard marinade. Rinse turkey under cold water; pat dry. Place onion, carrots and sage in cavity. Rub oil over skin. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
5) Place turkey over drip pan. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 2-3 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° in the thigh, tenting turkey with foil after about 1 hour. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
6) If desired, thicken pan juices for gravy. Remove and discard skin and vegetables in cavity before carving turkey. Serve with gravy.
It is best not to use a prebasted turkey for this recipe. However, if you do, omit the salt in the recipe.
4 ounces light and dark cooked turkey (skin removed, calculated without gravy) equafs 198 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, trace carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 33 g protein.