GRILLED BUFFALO WINGS
Good Housekeeping Grill It!
Editors of Good Housekeeping
Here's a real crowd-pleaser.We made the tangy blue-cheese dipping sauce with reduced-fat mayonnaise, cutting calories but not the great taste.
Prep: 20 Minutes
Grill: 25 To 27 Minutes
Makes 8 Appetizer Servings
Blue-Cheese Dipping Sauce
• 1 container (8 ounces) sour cream (about 3/4 cup)
• 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
• 3/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
• 1 green onion, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 4 pounds medium chicken wings (about 24)
• 3/4 cup cayenne pepper sauce
• celery and carrot sticks
1. Prepare dipping sauce: In small bowl, with wire whisk, mix sour cream, blue cheese, mayonnaise, green onion, vinegar, Worcestershire, and salt until well combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use or up to 3 days. Makes about 2 cups.
2. Prepare outdoor grill for covered direct grilling over medium heat.
3. Meanwhile, prepare wings: Separate wings at joints; refrigerate tips for another use. Place wings on hot rack over medium heat. Cover grill and cook wings, turning occasionally, until browned, about 20 minutes. Brush wings generously with some cayenne pepper sauce and grill, brushing with remaining sauce and turning frequently, until glazed and juices run clear when thickest part of wing is pierced with tip of knife, 5 to 7 minutes longer. Serve wings with dipping sauce and celery and carrot sticks.
TIP: Cayenne pepper sauce is a milder variety of hot pepper sauce that adds tang and flavor, not just heat. It can be found in the condiment section, near the ketchup, in the supermarket.
Each serving wings: About 300 calories, 27g protein, 1g carbohydrate, 20g total fat (6g saturated), 86mg cholesterol, 675mg sodium.
Each tablespoon sauce: About 45 calories, 1g protein, 1g carbohydrate, 4g total fat (2g saturated), 8mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium.