STICKY CITRUS CHICKEN WINGS
Eat Caribbean by Virginia Burke
These succulent wings are both sweet and tangy.
Preparation & cooking time: 1 hour marinating + 30 min.
Makes 12 wings
• 12 chicken wings, jointed (discard tips)
For the seasoning:
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp dried thyme
• 1 tsp onion powder
• 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
• salt and white pepper
For the sauce:
• juice of 1 grapefruit
• juice of 1 orange
• juice of 1 lime
• 1 tbsp white vinegar
• 3/4 cup brown sugar
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper, de-seeded and sliced
• 1 loosely packed tbsp grated orange zest
1. First of all prepare the chicken. Wash and pat dry. Season with the garlic, thyme, onion and hot sauce, rubbing the spices into the chicken pieces and adding salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate for an hour to marinate.
2. Meanwhile, strain the fresh juices (they should be about 1 cup in total) into a non-stick pan and add all the other ingredients with the exception of the orange zest. Heat until the sauce bubbles and thickens. This will take about 30 minutes. At the very end of cooking, add the zest.
3. Light the barbecue or preheat the grill. Or preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
4. Put the chicken pieces on an oiled baking sheet or grill rack and brush with oil if you think it necessary. Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the juices run clear when the thickest part is pierced with a fine skewer. Drain off excess oil on kitchen paper.
5. Coat the chicken with sauce and serve immediately. Or put the sauce in a bowl and serve with the chicken as a dip.