DEVILED CHICKEN WINGS
Sizzle, Sensational Barbecue Food
by Julie Biuso
Be careful not to brown the chicken wings too quickly; it is best to cook them slowly and thoroughly. If desired, transfer the wings to the barbecue grill rack for the last few minutes. Add a stalk of rosemary to the heat source, fan the flames and let the wings absorb the rosemary smoke for a few seconds.
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• finely grated zest of 1 lemon
• freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 2¼ pounds (1kg) chicken wings, halved
• lime wedges for serving
1. In a shallow dish mix oil, paprika, cumin, lemon zest and a good grinding of black pepper. Add chicken wings and turn to coat with dressing. Cover and marinate for at least 1 hour, or up to 24 hours, refrigerated, turning occasionally.
2. Gently turn chicken wings in dressing, adding 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook over low to medium heat on an oiled barbecue hot plate (cast-iron griddle) for about 45 minutes or until cooked through and well colored; baste with marinade from time to time. Alternatively, cook in an oven preheated to 375°F (190°C) for about 25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
3. Transfer chicken wings to a platter, sprinkle with salt and squeeze lime juice over all. Serve hottish or at room temperature as a nibble or as part of a barbecue meal.