CREAMY CHICKEN BAKED WITH FENNEL & CARROTS
The 5-A-Day Menu Planner
by Susannah Blake
• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
• 2 cups quartered and sliced fennel
• 4 carrots, cut into batons
• bunch scallions, thinly sliced
• 2 tbsp. butter
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 cup creme fraiche
• 1/2 cup white wine
• 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• new potatoes or brown rice, to serve
Heat the oven to 375°F.
Put the chicken breasts in a large baking dish. Nestle the fennel and carrots around the chicken breasts and sprinkle the scallions over the top.
Melt the butter in a pan and gently fry the garlic about 1 minute. Stir in the creme fraiche, wine, and mustard and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Pour the mixture over the chicken and vegetables, then bake 20 to 25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
Serve with new potatoes or brown rice.