CRISPY OVEN-FRIED CHICKEN
For less fat, bake chicken in the oven instead of frying.
Makes 6 servings
· 1/2 cup skim milk or buttermilk
· 1 tsp poultry seasoning
· 1 cup cornflakes, crumbled
· 1½ Tbsps onion powder
· 1½ Tbsps garlic powder
· 2 tsps black pepper
· 2 tsps dried hot pepper, crushed
· 1 tsp ginger, ground
· 8 pieces chicken, skinless (4 breasts, 4 drumsticks)
· a few shakes paprika
· 1 tsp vegetable oil (use to grease baking pan)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Add 1/2 teaspoon of poultry seasoning to milk.
3. Combine all other spices with cornflake crumbs and place in a plastic bag.
4. Wash chicken and pat dry. Dip chicken into milk, shake to remove excess, then quickly shake in bag with seasoning and crumbs.
5. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. Remove from refrigerator and sprinkle lightly with paprika for color.
7. Evenly space chicken on greased baking pan.
8. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until the meat can be easily pulled away from the bone with a fork. The drumsticks may require less baking time than the breasts. Crumbs will form a crispy “skin.” (Do not turn chicken during baking.)
Serving size: 1/2 breast or 2 small drumsticks
Fat 5 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 82 mg
Sodium 286 mg
National Institutes of Health - www.nih.gov/
Special thanks to Goulda A. Downer, Ph.D., R.D., for sharing her collection of African American recipes, and the General Clinical Research Center in the Irving Center for Clinical Research, Columbia University, New York, for testing the recipes.