COLORADO CORN PANCAKES WITH CHEDDAR ONION SAUCE
Here's another pancake that works both at home and outdoors and as a complement for any meal. Pancakes don't have to be a sweet breakfast food. We're fascinated with savory pancakes. It's a great, quick way to get bread with a meal without heating up the oven. Unusual pancakes make great camping food—solid, stick-to-your-ribs food without a lot of fuss. Use your imagination when making pancakes but we like this combination of corn and cheese in a bread.
Prepared Pantry - Dedicated to helping you bake with time-saving baking mixes, quality tools, hard-to-find ingredients, and some of the best baking information on the web. CLICK HERE for FREE Book How To Bake
Colorado Corn Pancakes with Cheddar-Onion Sauce
For the sauce:
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
• 1 1/2 cups milk
• 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
• 1/2 small onion, grated
For the pancakes:
• 1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal
• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons sugar
• 3 large eggs
• 1 1/2 cup milk
• 1 15.25-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
• 1/2 cup butter, melted
• 1/4 cup milk, more or less
Directions for the sauce:
1. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. Stir in the flour to make a paste.
2. While on low heat, add a little of the milk and stir until combined. Add the rest of the milk a little at a time, stirring constantly. Continue heating, stirring regularly, until the sauce starts to bubble.
3. Add the cheese and onion and stir until smooth. Set aside.
Directions for the pancakes:
1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
2. Whisk three eggs together in a small bowl. Add the milk. Add the milk and egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Add the corn and melted butter and stir until combined. Add more milk as needed to bring the mixture to the consistency of pancake batter.
3. Cook as you would pancakes.