AVOCADO AND BLUEBERRY FRUIT SALAD
(Yield: 6 servings)
Enjoying meals featuring colorful fruits and vegetables as part of an overall healthy lifestyle may protect against chronic diseases and protect DNA. Recipes like the California Avocado Blueberry Fruit Salad provide 3 servings of fruits and vegetables from the majority of color groups.
MAKE TANGY SALAD DRESSING AND SET ASIDE:
• 2 tsp honey
• 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/4 cup fruity (i.e., orange, pear) vinegar or apple cider vinegar
• 1/2 cup walnut oil
• 1/8 tsp salt
• 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
In medium bowl, mix honey, mustard, and cinnamon together to make a smooth paste. Whisk in vinegar. Add oil in thin stream, whisking constantly until dressing is creamy. Stir in salt and pepper; taste and adjust seasoning. Dressing yields about 3/4 cup.
• 1 large, ripe avocado, peeled, seeded, cut in slices
• 1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed, picked over, well-drained
• 1 cup diced fresh apple (one medium apple; peeled, cored, seeded, diced)
• 1 cup fresh mango chunks, diced
• 1 5-oz package mixed baby greens, or 8 cups mixed lettuces torn in bite-size pieces
• 1/4 cup chopped chives or green onion
• 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted*, chopped coarsely
Place chopped avocado, blueberries, apple, and mango in medium bowl and toss with 4 Tbsp tangy dressing; set aside.
Toss salad greens in large bowl with 1/4 cup tangy dressing, and distribute evenly on each of six salad plates. Place an equal portion of dressed fruit/avocado mixture on top of each greens serving. Sprinkle with chopped chives and toasted walnuts to serve. Remainder of salad dressing can be refrigerated for up to two weeks for later use.
*To toast walnuts, place nut pieces in dry skillet over medium-high heat and stir occasionally for about seven minutes, or until pieces are browned lightly. Remove from heat. Let nuts cool slightly before chopping and using to garnish salad.
Nutrients per serving: 190 calories, 13g fat (1.5g saturated, 4.5g monounsaturated, 7g polyunsaturated), 0mg cholesterol, 17g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 2g protein, 35mg sodium.
California Avocado Commission