Quick Fix Vegan
by Robin Robertson
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 small yellow onion, minced
• 2 cups shredded zucchini (1 medium zucchini)
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 pound firm tofu, well drained
• 1/4 cup nondairy milk
• 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon dried basil
• 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1 small ripe tomato, chopped
• 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Heat the oil in an ovenproof skillet. Add the onion, cover, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a blender, combine the tofu, nondairy milk, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, onion powder, dried basil, and turmeric. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste and blend until smooth.
Preheat the broiler. Spread the tofu mixture evenly over the vegetables in the ovenproof skillet. Cover and cook over medium heat until firm and golden brown on the bottom, about 15 minutes. Run under the broiler just long enough for the top to become golden brown. Cut into wedges and sprinkle the top with the tomato, olives, and fresh basil. Serve hot.