STRATA, VEGETABLE CHEESE STRATA
You will definitely get "oohs" and "ahhhs" when you pull this dish out of the oven. It rises up beautifully golden brown above the baking dish—almost like a souffle—and its rich aroma draws you right in. But its taste is the real reward: a delicate crust outside, with a tender eggy inside brimming with cheese and savory vegetables. Since you prepare it the night before, it is the perfect dish for overnight guests or a party. You can relax and enjoy it as much as your guests will the next day.
Serving Size 1 1/2 Cups
• 4 teaspoons olive oil
• 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
• 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
• 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced (about 3 cups)
• Cooking spray
• 1 whole-wheat baguette, cubed (about 5 cups)
• 8 large eggs
• 8 large egg whites
• 2 cups nonfat milk
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 10 ounces broccoli, steamed until tender but still firm, cooled, and chopped, or one 10-ounce package frozen broccoli, thawed and chopped
• 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (1 cup)
• 1/2 cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), soaked in hot water until soft, then drained
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute Transfer the onion mixture to a medium bowl and let cool.
Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat and cook the mushrooms, stirring a few times, until their water evaporates and they begin to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
Coat a large baking dish (about 9x13 inches) with cooking spray. Arrange the bread cubes over the bottom. In a large bowl, beat the whole eggs, egg whites, milk, and mustard together until incorporated. Add the mushrooms, onion-garlic mixture, broccoli, both cheeses, the sun-dried tomatoes, thyme, salt, and pepper and stir to incorporate. Pour the mixture over the bread, making sure the liquid saturates the bread. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the plastic wrap from the strata and bake until the top forms a light brown crust, 60 to 70 minutes.
PER SERVING: Calories 255; Total Fat 12g (Mono 5g; Poly 2g; Sat 3.5g); Protein 21g; Carb 17g; Fiber 45g; Chol 215mg; Sodium 60smg
EXCELLENT SOURCE OF: Calcium, Fiber, Iodine, Phosphorus, Protein, Riboflavin, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C.
GOOD SOURCE OF: Copper, Folate, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin Bl2, Vitamin D