TEQUILA LIME CHICKEN WITH SPINACH FETTUCCINE IN CREAMY JALAPENO SAUCE
All Natural Diabetes Cookbook
by Jackie Newgent
Whether your past experience with tequila has been good, bad, or nonexistent, the experience you'll have while eating this tangy tequila pasta is all good. And don't worry about feeding this to kids; generally no alcohol remains after sauteing.
Serves 4, serving size: 1½ cups
• 8 oz dry spinach or whole wheat fettucdne
• 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 Ib boneless, skinless chicken breast (antibiotic free), cut lengthwise into 16 thin pieces
• 2 cups thinly sliced red onion
• 1 large jalapeho pepper with seeds, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup tequila (see Fresh Fact)
• 1/4 cup lime juice (divided use)
• 1½ tsp garlic salt (divided use)
• 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiana-Reggiano cheese
• 1/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Cook the fettuccine according to package directions, omitting added oil and salt. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in an extra-large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Saute the chicken, onion, and jalapeno for 10 minutes or until the chicken is done. Add the tequila and 2 Tbsp lime juice. Saute for 5 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated, yet the mixture is still moist. Stir in 1/2 tsp garlic salt.
3. Add the pasta to the chicken mixture and toss, using long-handled tongs. Add the cheese, reserved cooking water, evaporated milk, remaining lime juice, and remaining garlic salt. Toss to combine well. Remove from heat once the liquid is absorbed, top with cilantro, and serve immediately.
Exchanges: 3½ starch, 4 lean meat; 490 calories, 78 calories from fat, 9 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 70 mg cholesterol, 530 mg sodium, 50 g total carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 5 g sugars, 34 g protein.
For beautiful balance and added nutrients, toss in 2 cups sliced red or yellow bell pepper-or a pepper mixture-to this pasta recipe. I Saute the peppers for 1 minute in the pan along with the chicken, onion, and jalapeno just before adding the tequila. Serve in a colorful bowl with additional grated cheese and lime wedges, if desired.
If you're unsure whether you'll like tequila in your food, try this recipe with 1/4 cup tequila and 1/4 cup natural chicken or vegetable broth. And, if you want to forgo the tequila, use 1/3 cup broth and the juice of another lime.