TARRAGON CHICKEN WITH APPLES
Healthy Carb Cookbook For Dummies® by Jan McCracken
This is a very special meal on the low-carb side because it lends a bit of sweetness. It's a tad bit higher in carb counts, but it isn't off the charts by any means. So languish in this very special and quick entree.
Preparation time: 5 to 8 minutes
Cooking time: 30 to 35 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
· 2 tablespoons butter, divided
· 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 4 oz. each
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 1/8 teaspoon pepper
· 2 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
· 1/2 cup apple juice
· 1/4 cup light cream
· 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cool water
· 1 teaspoon cornstarch
· 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh tarragon
1. Using a large, nonstick, heavy skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Brown the chicken on both sides, about 8 minutes per side over medium heat. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper and remove from the skillet. Cover to keep warm.
2. In the same skillet, cook the apples in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter just until tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from the skillet and cover to keep warm.
3. Add the apple juice to the skillet, stirring constantly for about 4 minutes, until the juice is reduced by half. Combine the cream and 1/4 cup water to make a milk mixture, and add it to the apple juice in the skillet.
4. Return the chicken breasts to the skillet and cook for 10 minutes, or until the juices from the chicken run clear.
5. In a small bowl, combine the 1 tablespoon water and the cornstarch so there are no lumps and stir the mixture into the juices in the skillet. Bring to a boil, cooking and stirring for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture begins to thicken.
6. Add the apples and tarragon and heat through.
Per serving: Calories 259 (From Fat 104); Fat 12g (Saturated 6g); Cholesterol 88mg; Sodium 208mg; Carbohydrate 15g; Dietary Fiber 2g (Net Carbohydrate 13g); Protein 24g.