STUFFED CABBAGE LEAVES WITH TOMATOES AND BEANS
The Essential Diabetes Cookbook
by Antony Thompson
As a child, my mother would regularly make a Polish recipe for stuffed cabbage which usually involved ground pork. Here's an excellent vegetarian version from Greece.
• 12 leaves savoy cabbage, large rib trimmed
• 2 tablespoons good-quality olive oil
• 2 red onions, finely chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 2 celery ribs, finely sliced
• 2 cups finely sliced carrots
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 cup quick-cook brown rice
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 2 tomatoes, chopped
• 1 tablespoon each chopped fresh chives, parsley, and basil
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 (14-oz) can chopped tomatoes
• 1 (14-oz) can borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
• 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1. Cook the cabbage leaves in boiling salted water for 3 minutes, then remove, drain, and refresh under cold running water. Drain and pat dry. Lay the leaves outside-down on a work surface.
2. Using two frying pans, heat half the olive oil in each, then add half the onion and garlic in each. Allow the onions to soften over medium heat, about 5 to 8 minutes. To one pan add the celery, carrots, and bay leaves, and cook gently for 8 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, to the other pan add the rice and paprika and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the fresh chopped tomatoes and half the fresh herbs, season to taste with salt and pepper, and leave to cool.
4. To the vegetable pan add the canned tomatoes, borlotti beans, and dried oregano, then stir in 1 cup of water and simmer gently. Set a heaping teaspoon of the rice stuffing on each cabbage leaf and loosely wrap to allow the rice to expand during cooking. Place the stuffed leaves on the bean and tomato stew, cover, and simmer gently for 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Arrange 3 stuffed leaves on each warmed plate. Add the remaining fresh herbs to the tomato and bean stew and season to taste, then spoon the stew around the stuffed leaves.
Amount per portion: Energy 286 cals, Protein 11g, Fat 8g, Saturated fat 1g, Carbohydrate 46g, Total sugars 13.4g, Fiber 9.1g, Salt 1.17g, Sodium 459mg