Fix-It And Enjoy-It! Healthy Cookbook
Phyllis Pellman Good
Recipe: Carolyn Spohn, Shawnee, KS
Makes 4 servings
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes
Standing Time: 5 minutes
• 1/2 cup hulled, raw millet
• 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 small onion, finely minced
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 4 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
• 1 cup low-fat low-sodium chicken broth
• 1/2 cup skim milk
• 1/4 tsp. black pepper
1. Roast raw millet in heavy dry skillet over medium-high heat until millet begins to turn golden brown. Stir frequently. Remove from heat.
2. Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add minced onion and cook about 3 minutes until soft.
3. Add minced garlic and cook about 2 more minutes.
4. Add toasted millet. Stir to coat with onion/oil mixture.
5. Add shredded carrots, chicken stock, milk, and pepper.
6. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook on medium-low heat until millet is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and let stand about 5 minutes in covered pan.
Calories 175, Protein 6g, Carbohydrates 27g, Total Fat 5g, Saturated Fat 1g, Monounsaturated Fat 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 2mg, Sodium 92mg, Fiber 4g