This is a quick frittata that you can make for any meal. Cook chopped onions, a clove of garlic, chopped canned or frozen artichoke hearts, fresh asparagus, and sugar snap peas in a little olive oil until soft. Beat ¾ cup of egg substitute with 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt, basil, and a little pepper. Heat some olive oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet and cook the egg mixture until it's set on the bottom, but still wet on the top. Scatter the vegetables over the eggs and now place it under the broiler. When the egg has cooked on top, dust with Parmesan cheese, cut, and serve. It's easy! And, this dish provides 1½ servings of vegetables per person.
Provides 1½ vegetable servings per person
• 3 teaspoons olive oil
• ¼ cup chopped onion
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• ½ cup fresh asparagus pieces
• ½ cup canned or frozen artichoke hearts, chopped
• ½ cup sugar snap peas, strings pulled and cut in ½-inch pieces
• ¼ teaspoon dried basil
• salt and pepper to taste
• ¾ cup egg substitute or 3 eggs
• 1 tablespoon plain low-fat yogurt
• 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a skillet and cook the onion 2 or 3 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Stir in the asparagus, artichoke hearts, peas, basil, and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally until tender but still slightly crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
2. Preheat the broiler. Beat the egg substitute or eggs with the yogurt and another pinch of pepper. Heat the remaining oil in a heavy bottom skillet. Pour in the egg mixture and cook until just set on the bottom but still wet on the top, 1 minute. Scatter the vegetables over the top and set in the oven to finish cooking, 2 minutes. Dust the top with the Parmesan cheese, cut into wedges and serve.
Nutritional Analysis per serving:
3 g fat
25% calories from fat
1 g saturated fat
7% calories from saturated fat
11 g carbohydrates
388 mg sodium
2 g dietary fiber