FoodReference.com (Since 1999)
RECIPE SECTION - Over 10,000 Recipes
Home | Articles | Food_Trivia | Today_in_Food_History | Food_Timeline | RECIPES | Cooking_Tips | Videos | Food_Quotes | Who’s_Who | Culinary_Schools_&_Tours | Food_Trivia_Quizzes | Food_Poems | Free Magazines | Food_Festivals_&_Shows
and other Publications
An extensive selection of free food, beverage & agricultural magazines, e-books, etc.
FOOD VIDEO SECTION
Recipe Videos, BBQ & Grilling, Food Safety, Food Science, Food Festivals, Beverages, Vintage Commercials, etc.
50 Great Curries of India
by Camellia Panjabi
Kath Katha (Goa)
There are hundreds of ways of making mixed vegetable curry. Almost every recipe in this book can be adapted to cook vegetables instead of lamb, chicken, or fish. This is a Hindu Goan curry.
• 1 onions
• 4 tablespoons oil
• 1 cup grated coconut
• 6 dried red chiles
• 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
• 4 cloves
• 10 peppercorns
• 2-in cinnamon stick
• 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
• 1/3 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 1/4 teaspoon asafbetida (optional)
• 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
• 1 cinnamon leaf or bay leaf
• 1 blade of mace
• 1 lb diced mixed vegetables (yam, carrots, potato, sweet potato, beans, peas)
• 1 teaspoon lime or lemon juice, to taste
1. Chop 1 onion finely and slice the other
2. Put 1 tablespoon of the oil into a non stick skillet, add the grated coconut and saute tor 5 minutes. Remove and set aside in a bowl.
3. Put the red chiles and coriander seeds into the same pan. After 3 minutes add the cloves, peppercorns, and cinnamon and stir for 2-3 minutes. Remove and add to the coconut in the bowl
4. In a blender, puree the coconut, roasted spices, and sliced onion, adding 1/2 cup of water
5. Heat the remaining oil in a large pot, and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, and turmeric powder. After a minute add the cinnamon or bay leaf and chopped onion and fry for 20-25 minutes, or until the onion is browned. Add the spice mix and the mace and try for 10-12 minutes. Pour in 3 cups of water, add salt to taste, and mix well.
6. Now add the vegetables in order of their cooking time. Start with the yam, followed after 10 minutes by carrots and 5 minutes later by the potato and sweet potato, followed after 5 minutes by the beans. Finally add the peas.
7. Cook, uncovered, over low heat until the vegetables are tender. Then add the lime or lemon juice.
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website. For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only. Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.