Sharing Mountain Recipes
by Randi Lee Levin
Perfectly divine any time of year, especially around the winter holidays. Made with an extra dose of spice, this beautiful cake is sure to become a favorite and guaranteed to fill your home with the fragrance of homemade love.
• Scant 2 cups sugar
• 1 cup canola or safflower oil
• 4 large plus 1 small egg or equivalent amount of liquid egg substitute
• 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 tablespoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon ginger
• 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
• 1/4 teaspoon cloves
• 2 cups canned pumpkin
• 3/4 cup golden raisins or chopped pecans (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F
1. Grease two 9-inch round pans with pan spray and then lightly dust each with flour.
2. Cream together the sugar, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl.
3. Sift the flour, baking soda and powder into the egg mixture, mix thoroughly while adding the pumpkin and spice. Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 35-45 minutes or until an inserted knife or toothpick comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes, remove from the pan, cool for another 5 minutes, wrap each layer in plastic wrap and cool completely prior to spreading the Cream Cheese Frosting.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
• 1/4 cup butter or margarine
• 8 ounces cream cheese, (Neufchatel works fine)
• 3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
• 1 tablespoon vanilla
• 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Mix frosting ingredients thoroughly together. Remove the plastic wrap from each layer of cake, brush away any lingering crumbs and place one layer onto a plate. Cover this layer with frosting, put the second layer on top of the bottom layer and continue to cover the cake with the frosting. Sprinkle the top with chopped pecans, if desired.