BROWN SUGAR POUND CAKE
Country Living Great Cakes
by The Editors of Country Living
Brown Sugar Pound Cake
The combination of dark brown sugar, nutmeg, and vanilla gives these mini pound cakes a somewhat exotic aroma and flavor. Wrap the loaves in parchment and tie with string for nice old-fashioned hostess gifts during the holidays.
Makes 16 Servings (four 5- by 2-inch cakes)
• 3 cups cake flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (2 1/2 sticks), softened
• 1 1/2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 5 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup buttermilk
1. MAKE THE BATTER: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat four 5- by 2 1/2-inch mini loaf pans with vegetable-oil cooking spray and set aside. Sift the flour, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg into a medium bowl. Beat the butter and sugars in a large bowl using a mixer set on high speed until light and fluffy— about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture by thirds, alternating with the buttermilk and ending with the dry ingredients, mixing just until the batter is smooth.
2. BAKE THE CAKE: Divide the batter equally between the prepared pans and bake until a tester inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean—40 to 50 minutes. Cool in the pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Use a knife to loosen the cakes from the sides of the pans and invert onto the wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Information Per One-Inch Serving—protein: 3.8 G; Fat: 16.2 G; Carbohydrate: 34.1 G; Fiber: .3 G; Sodium: 122 Mg; Cholesterol: 106 Mg; Calories: 295.