Mocha Pudding Cake
Recipe from FRESH CHOICES by David Joachim & Rochelle Davis
This gooey mess of a cake is a surefire hit with kids of all ages. The hot chocolate pudding rests under a thick blanket of moist mocha cake. For total decadence, scoop it into bowls and serve drizzled with heavy cream (or milk).
Makes 8 servings
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour or whole grain pastry flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch of ground cinnamon
1/2 cup organic 2% milk
1/4 cup GMO-free or organic canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup hot brewed coffee
* Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 10" deep-dish pie plate with oil spray.
* In a large bowl, mix the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in the milk, oil, and vanilla (the batter will be thick).
* Spread in the prepared pie plate and sprinkle with the brown sugar, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa. Pour the hot coffee over top
* Bake until the cake is set on top and the pudding starts to bubble up through the cake, 30 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Use a spoon to serve.
* Helping Hand: Use decaffeinated coffee, if you prefer. Or make Chocolate Pudding Cake by omitting the hot coffee and using hot water instead.