VEGAN HOT PEPPER SAUCE
Vegan Soul Kitchen
by Bryant Terry
Soundtrack: "Hot Lava" by Kudu from Death of the Party
This is my attempt to replicate the oh-so-slammin' hot sauce at the Senegalese restaurant Joloff, my favorite eatery in New York City. This version is only slightly hot, but if you really want that fire add one more habanero chile.
Yield: 1 cup
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 small red onion, diced
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
• Coarse sea salt
• 1 large clove garlic, minced
• 1 habanero Chile, minced
• 1/4 cup tomato paste
• 1/4 cup tomato sauce
• 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup water
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
• In a saucepan over low heat, warm the oil. Add the onion, cumin, cayenne, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and saute until the onions start to caramelize, about 8 minutes.
• Stir in the garlic and chile and saute for 2 minutes more. Add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, vinegar, and water Mix well, and simmer until it starts to thicken, about 5 to 7 minutes.
• Transfer all the ingredients to an upright blender, add the white pepper, and puree until smooth. Season with additional salt to taste Store in a tightly sealed jar in the refrigerator.