Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Cooking
by Beverly Lynn Bennett & Ray Sammartano
Here, marinated tempeh cubes mix with onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms in a flavorful, wine-infused tomato sauce.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep rime: 10 to 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 to 30 minutes
Serving size: 1 cup
• 1 (8-oz.) pkg. tempeh, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
• 2 TB. tamari
• 2 tsp. plus 1 TB. olive oil
• 1 cup onion, cut into half moons
• 1½ cups crimini mushrooms or other mushrooms of choice, thinly sliced
• 2/3 cup green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, and cut into 1-in. pieces
• 2/3 cup red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, and cut into 1-in. pieces
• 1 TB. garlic, minced
• 1 tsp. Italian seasoning blend, or 1/2 tsp. each dried basil and dried oregano
• 1 (14-oz.) can crushed tomatoes (preferably fire-roasted)
• 1 (14-oz.) can diced tomatoes (preferably fire-roasted)
• 1/2 cup red wine
• 1/2 tsp. sea salt
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 1 bay leaf
1. In a small bowl, combine tempeh, tamari, and 2 teaspoons olive oil. Set aside for 10 minutes to marinate.
2. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook tempeh cubes and marinade, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until lightly browned on all sides. Transfer tempeh cubes to a large plate, and set aside.
3. Add onion and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet, reduce heat to medium, and sauté, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper, and sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic and Italian seasoning, and sauté for 1 minute.
4. Add tempeh cubes, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, red wine, salt, black pepper, and bay leaf. Stir well to combine, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and tomatoes have broken down a bit.
Soy What? - Cacciatore is Italian for "hunter's style" and is a peasant dish traditionally made with chicken. Veganize it by hunting down some tempeh, canned tomatoes, a few vegetables, and some red wine.