VEGGIE AND BEAN BURGERS
Prep: 10 min; Cook: 12 min
• 1/4 cup uncooked instant rice
• 1/4 cup boiling water
• 1/2 cup broccoli flowerets
• 2 oz fresh mushrooms (about 4 medium)
• 1/2 small red bell pepper, cut up
• 1 can (15 to 16 oz) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 large egg
• 1 clove garlic
• 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
• 1 teaspoon instant chopped onion
• 1/3 cup Italian-style dry bread crumbs
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
• Toppings (Cheddar cheese slices, lettuce, sliced tomato, sliced onion and mayonnaise), if desired
1. In medium bowl, stir rice and boiling water. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Drain if necessary.
2. Meanwhile, in food processor, place broccoli, mushrooms and bell pepper. Cover and process, using quick on-and-off motions, to finely chop vegetables (do not puree). Stir vegetables into rice.
3. Add beans, egg, garlic and seasoned salt to food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Stir bean mixture, onion and bread crumbs into vegetable mixture.
4. Using about 1/2 cup vegetable mixture for each patty, shape into 1/2-inch-thick patties.
5. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook patties in oil 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, until brown and crisp. Serve on buns with toppings.
1 SANDWICH: Cal 410 (Cal From Fat 145) Fat 16g (Sat Fat 2g), Chol 55mg, Sodium 540mg, Carbs 61g (Fiber 11g), Pro 17g
% DAILY VALUE: Vit A 14%, Vit C 24%, Calc 12%, Iron 30%
EXCHANGES: 3 1/2 Starch, 2 Vegetable, 2 Fat
CARB. CHOICES: 4
VEGGIE AND BEAN "MEATBALLS"
Heat oven to 400°F
Generously spray 15 X 10 X 1-inch pan with cooking spray. Shape vegetable mixture into 16 balls; place in pan. Generously spray tops of balls with cooking spray. Bake about 20 minutes or until crisp.
Serve with pasta sauce (any flavor) or cheese sauce.