A healthful, affordable recipe.
• 1 lb lasagna noodles (18 each)
• 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
• 3/4 cup fresh zucchini, sliced
• 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
• 1/3 cup onions, diced
• 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp all-purpose flour
• 2 cups frozen broccoli pieces
• 3 cups tomato sauce
• 3/4 cup tomato paste
• 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp oregano leaves
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 3¼ cups lowfat cottage cheese, drained
• 1 Tbsp parsley flakes
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp dry bread crumbs
• 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
• 1½ cups lowfat mozzarella cheese, shredded
• 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 F.
1. In a large sauce pan, cook noodles in boiling water for 10-12 minutes until firm-tender. Drain and hold in cold water.
2. In a medium skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat until hot. Add zucchini, mushrooms, and onions and saute for 3 minutes until tender. Stir in flour and cook for 3 minutes. Do not brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Add broccoli to boiling water and cook for 3 minutes until tender. Drain and rinse broccoli in cold water.
4. In a medium sauce pan, combine tomato sauce, paste, oregano, and garlic powder. Simmer uncovered, over low heat for 20 minutes.
5. Add sauteed vegetables and broccoli and stir to combine. Simmer for 10 minutes.
6. In a medium bowl, combine cottage cheese, parsley, garlic powder, and bread crumbs. Stir well to blend.
In a small bowl, combine 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. Spread 1/2 cup of vegetable sauce evenly in a lightly greased 13"x9"x2" baking pan.
6 lasagna noodles, half of cottage cheese mixture, 1¼ cups vegetable sauce, half of parmesan-mozzarella cheese mixture
Repeat first layer, using remainder of cottage cheese mixture and parmesan-mozzarella mixture.
Top with 6 lasagna noodles and remainder of vegetable sauce
Sprinkle the rest of the parmesan cheese (optional) over assembled lasagna. Cover with foil. Bake for 60 minutes until bubbling.
Remove from oven and allow lasagna to sit for 15 minutes before serving. Cut lasagna into 12 pieces (3 x 4).
Nutrients per serving: 1 piece
Calories 297; Saturated Fat 1.9 g; Iron 3.3 mg; Protein 20 g; Cholesterol 8 mg; Calcium 201 mg; Carbohydrate 45 g; Vitamin A 162 RE; Sodium 747 mg; Total Fat 4.8 g; Vitamin C 24 mg; Dietary Fiber
USDA Food & Nutrition Services - Team Nutrition: Food, Family & Fun