TOMATO, SQUASH AND ONION CASSEROLE
A healthful, affordable recipe. In September, tomatoes and yellow squash are in season. That means they are the most affordable and the most delicious. This dish is good served hot.
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 2 tsp minced garlic
• 3 small onions, sliced
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp freshly-ground pepper
• 1 Tbsp each fresh thyme, oregano and basil (or 1 tsp each, dried)
• 1 medium zucchini, washed, cut into thin slices (about 1/2 pound)
• 1 medium yellow squash, washed, cut into thin slices (about 1/2 pound)
• 6 fresh plum tomatoes, cut into medium slices
Preheat oven to 400 F.
1. Saute onions and garlic in 1 Tbsp oil over medium heat, until onions are tender and browned. Place in oven-proof dish and season with half the salt, pepper and herbs.
2. Arrange zucchini on top of onions, then place a layer of yellow squash next with a layer of tomatoes. Sprinkle with rest of herbs, salt, and pepper.
3. Bake, covered, for 25-30 minutes at 400 F.
Nutrients per serving: 1 cup
Calories 56; Saturated Fat 0.3 g; Iron 1.1 mg; Protein 2 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Calcium 31 mg; Carbohydrate 9 g; Vitamin A 80 RE; Sodium 301 mg; Total Fat 2.2 g; Vitamin C 25 mg; Dietary Fiber 3 g
USDA Food & Nutrition Services - Team Nutrition: Food, Family & Fun - www.usda.gov/