VEGETARIAN, RICE HOUSE MEATLOAF
The Rice Diet Solution
by Kitty Gurkin Rosati, Robert Rosati
A Rice House favorite, this meatloaf dish stands alone: it's flavorful, hearty, and we doubt you'll have room for dessert!
Yield: 12 Servings
• 2 cups textured soy protein (TVP)
• 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1½ cups sweet onion, diced
• 1 red bell pepper, diced
• 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
• 1 green bell pepper, diced
• 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
• 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
• 1 pinch black pepper
• 1 pinch cayenne pepper
• 1 pinch oregano
• 1 pinch fresh basil
• 1/4 cup tomato puree, no salt added
• 1 teaspoon honey, optional
• 3 Toufayan Salt Free Pitas, diced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Set TVP in a strainer, pour 3 cups boiling water over it, let drain and set aside.
In a pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onions, bell peppers, and garlic; saute until lightly browned.
Add balsamic vinegar and spices and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add TVP, tomato puree, and honey and stir well.
Cover and leave on low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often.
Add diced pita bread and mix well. Remove vrom heat, but leave pot covered for 2 to 3 minutes.
Coat a meatloaf pan lightly wiht olive olive oil, pour in mixture, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.