SWEET POTATOES AND CHICKPEAS IN CHILI SAUCE
Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook
by Neal Barnard and Robyn Webb
This is a great meal when you are craving a flavorful and filling comfort food,
Makes 10 Servings
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
• 3/4 cup vegetable broth
• 1/2 cup chopped celery
• 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 3/4 cup chopped red onions
• 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1/4 teaspoon paprika
• 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce,chopped
• 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
• 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
• Kosher or sea salt to taste
• Freshly black ground pepper to taste
1. Heat 1/4 cup of the broth in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the celery, fennel seeds, and garlic and cook for 2 min- utes. Add the onions, turmeric, paprika, and chipotle pep- per. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the sweet potatoes and the remaining 1/2 cup broth, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally until sweet potatoes are tender. Add the chickpeas and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add the parsley and season with salt and black pepper.
Did you know?
A chipotle pepper is a jalapeno that has been dried and smoked. It is easy to find them pickled and canned in adobo sauce. Add more or less depending on your taste.
Per Serving (1/10 of Recipe): 112 calories; 0.9 g fat; 0.1 g saturated fat; 7.1 % calories from fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 3.9 g protein; 22.8 g carbohydrate; 5.2 g sugar; 4.1 g fiber; 301 mg sodium; 46 mg calcium; 1.7 mg iron; 14.2 mg vitamin C; 6818 mcg beta-carotene; 0.9 mg vitamin E