JAMAICAN PINEAPPLE ORANGE CHICKEN
Old Farmer's Almanac Everyday Cookbook
by Old Farmer's Almanac
Makes 6 servings.
• 1 broiler-fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 3/4 cup orange juice
• 1/2 cup golden raisins
• 1/4 cup rum, preferably dark
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Rinse the chicken and pat it dry.
Combine the flour, salt, and chili powder in a large, reseal- able plastic bag. Shake to mix. Add the chicken to the bag, seal, and shake until the chicken is thoroughly coated.
Heat the oil in a large skillet and brown the chicken on all sides.
Place the chicken in a lightly greased, shallow baking dish.
In a bowl, mix together the orange juice, raisins, rum, cinnamon, cloves, and pineapple (with juice). Pour the mixture over the chicken.
Bake uncovered for 50 minutes, or until the chicken is tender, occasionally basting with juices.