POTATO & CHICKEN STIR FRY
Yield: Serves 2-3
• 6 tablespoons salad oil
• 6 ounces Idaho potato (peeled and sliced 3-inches long by 1-inch wide by 3/8-inch thick)
• 12 ounces Marinated Chicken (Recipe follows)
• 2 ounces red bell pepper, diced
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon ground garlic
• 1/2 cup water
• 3 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon cooking wine
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
• 1 green onion, sliced
• 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a wok until hot. Fry potatoes until cooked through and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to paper towels, drain well and set aside.
Heat a clean wok for 10 seconds. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of salad oil into wok and heat oil to 250ºF.
Add chicken to wok. Stir quickly, separating meat and cook until well done, about 6 to 7 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
Reheat wok for 5 seconds. Add bell pepper, ginger and garlic to heated wok. Stir several times.
Add reserved chicken, water, soy sauce, cooking wine and cornstarch mix; stir until sauce boils and thickens.
Add fried potato. Stir and fold several times.
Add green onion and sesame oil. Continue stirring and folding until ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Serve immediately.
• 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken (washed, drained well and diced into 1/2-inch pieces)
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon egg, lightly beaten
• 1½ tablespoon cornstarch
• 1 tablespoon salad oil
Combine chicken and water, mixing well.
Add salt and egg. Mix again.
Thoroughly stir in cornstarch and salad oil, and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour before use.
Idaho Potato Commission: www.idahopotato.com
Andy Kao, Director of Food and Beverage, Panda Restaurant Group, South Pasadena, Calif.