JERK CHICKEN WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES AND PINEAPPLE
Yum-o! The Family Cookbook
by Rachael Ray
Add a DVD of Johnny Depp as a pirate and you've got a night in the Caribbean, plus a head start on two more dinners. Arrrh!
The Itty Bitties Can:
• pulse food processor
• measure spices
• cut pineapple
• 3 red Onions, 1 coarsely chopped and 2 sliced
• 4 garlic Cloves, coarsely chopped
• 4 Scallions, green and white parts, coarsely chopped
• Juice of 2 limes
• 2 Jalapeno peppers, halved and seeded
• 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 1/2 cup orange juice
• 1 tablespoon Sweet paprika, a palmful
• 1 tablespoon ground cumin, a palmful
• 2 teaspoons ground allspice, about 2/3 palmful
• 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon, eyeball it in your palm
• 5 to 6 fresh thyme sprigs
• 1/2 cup EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil), plus 2 to 3 tablespoons for drizzling
• 8 chicken drumsticks
• 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and chopped into small bite-size pieces
• 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped or sliced
• 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped or sliced
• 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped or sliced
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Place the chopped red onion in a food processor with the garlic, scallions, lime juice, jalapeno peppers, red wine vinegar, orange juice, paprika, cumin, allspice, cinnamon, and thyme. Pulse to combine. With the processor running, stream in the 1/2 cup EVOO to form a thick paste.
Season the chicken pieces generously with salt and pepper, then rub all over with the spice paste. Arrange the chicken in a roasting pan and roast uncovered for 45 minutes.
Pile the pineapple, bell peppers, and sliced red onions on a rimmed baking sheet, coat them in 2 to 3 tablespoons EVOO, and season with salt and pepper. Add the baking sheet to the oven after the chicken has been in for 15 minutes and roast the fruit and vegetables along with the chicken for about 30 minutes.
Serve up half the chicken (one drummer and one piece of breast per person) and half of the roasted pineapple, peppers, and onions for dinner.
Cool the leftovers before you wrap and refrigerate them.