Moroccan Chicken With Apricot And Pistachio Couscous
300 Big & Bold Barbecue & Grilling Recipes
by Karen Adler & Judith Fertig
Honey-sweet and savory with spice, this chicken dish is a meal in minutes. Just add a green salad. The marinade is multi- functional: one half flavors the chicken, the other half dresses the couscous. Here's looking at you, kid.
TIP: It's always a good idea to oil the grill rack well before heating up the grill, but it's especially important when you're grilling foods that have been marinated in a sweet mixture, so they don't stick.
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 bunch green onions, chopped (about 1 cup)
• 1/2 cup dry white wine
• 3 tbsp liquid honey
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 2 tsp ground coriander
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
• 1/2 cup dried apricots, snipped into small pieces
• 1/2 cup hot water
• 1 2/3 cups instant couscous
• 1/2 cup shelled roasted pistachios
1. Prepare the marinade: In a bowl, whisk together garlic, green onions, wine, honey, olive oil, cumin, coriander and cinnamon.
2. Rinse chicken under cold running water and pat dry. Place in a large scalable plastic bag and pour in half the marinade. Seal, toss to coat and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours, tossing occasionally. Cover and refrigerate the remaining marinade until ready to use.
3. Meanwhile, prepare a medium-hot fire in your grill.
4. Place apricots in a small bowl, pour in hot water and let soften.
5. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade. Grill for 18 to 20 minutes, turning every 3 to 4 minutes, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced.
6. Meanwhile, prepare couscous according to package directions. Drain apricots. Toss couscous with the reserved marinade, apricots and pistachios. Serve with chicken.