CHICKEN A LA MARYLAND
Yield: Makes 6 servings.
• 12 choice chicken pieces
• Flour, salt and ground black pepper
• 1/4 cup butter or margarine
• 1 10¾-ounce can condensed golden mushroom soup
• 1 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained
• 2 tablespoons chopped chives
• 3 tablespoons brandy
• 1 cup sour cream
• Vegetable Rice
• 3 cups cooked rice
• 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
• 1 8-ounce can green peas, drained
• 2 tablespoons diced pimiento
Dredge chicken pieces in seasoned flour. Heat butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown on all sides.
Blend soup, mushrooms and chives; pour over chicken. Heat to boiling, cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Carefully blend in brandy and sour cream; heat but do not boil. Serve over beds of Vegetable Rice.
Vegetable Rice: Combine rice, butter, peas and pimiento in saucepan. Heat; toss lightly, and serve. If you wish, substitute a package of frozen peas, cooked and drained, for canned peas.
Total Fat 37g
Total Carbohydrate 64g
Dietary Fiber 2g
USA Rice Federation (www.usarice.com)