EatingWell Serves Two by Jim Romanoff
A classic cassoulet takes two days to make and is larded with fat. This version keeps it simple with one skillet and a "lite" touch. Serve with some crusty whole-grain rolls.
Makes 2 Servings.
Total: 40 minutes
• 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
• 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 6 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into 1½-inch chunks
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
• 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup water, divided
• 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
• 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1/4 cup dry while wine
• 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 3 ounces low-fat turkey kielbasa, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
• 1/4 cup Toasted Breadcrumbs (see Note*)
1. Place 1/4 cup beans in a small bowl and mash roughly with a fork or potato masher. Add the remaining beans to the bowl.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken in a single layer. Cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
3. Add onion and garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened and browned, about 4 minutes. Add rosemary, thyme and pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine; increase heat to high. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits, until the wine has reduced by about half, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add the remaining 1/4 cup water, broth, kielbasa, the beans and chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve topped with Toasted Breadcrumbs.
To Make Ahead:
Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
* Toasted Breadcrumbs:
Toss 1/4 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs with 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil. Toast the breadcrumbs in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, until they are golden and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per Serving: 411 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrate; 32 g protein; 11 g fiber; 854 mg sodium; 667 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron & Zinc (20% daily value). Potassium (19% dv). Calcium (15%dv).