FoodReference.com (since 1999)
RECIPE SECTION - Over 10,000 Recipes
Home | Articles | Food_Trivia | Today_in_Food_History | Food_Timeline | Recipes | Cooking_Tips | Videos | Food_Quotes | Who’s_Who | Culinary_Schools_& Tours | Food_Trivia_Quizzes | Food Poems | Free_Magazines | Food Festivals & Events
You are here > Home >
and other Publications
An extensive selection of free food, beverage & agricultural magazines, e-books, etc.
Culinary Schools & Cooking Classes
From Amateur & Basic Cooking Classes to Professional Chef Training & Degrees
More than 1,000 schools & classes listed for all 50 States, Online and Worldwide
• 1 cup wild rice
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup walnuts
• 8 ounces cranberries, fresh or thawed frozen
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
• 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
• 3 green onions, chopped (including green tops)
1. Combine wild rice, salt and 1 qt water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until rice is tender to bite and most grains have split open, 45 to 60 minutes. Drain in a colander and let cool.
2. Meanwhile, spread walnuts on a cookie sheet and toast in a 325 degree oven until lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Coarsely chop.
3. Sort cranberries, discarding any stems and bruised or decayed fruit; cut each cranberry in half.
4. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, stir the sugar and 1/2 cup water until the sugar is dissolved and mixture boils. Remove from heat; stir the halved cranberries. Gently stir occasionally until insides of cranberries have turned red but are still firm, 8 to 12 minutes. Pour through a strainer into a bowl, reserving the cranberry-sugar syrup.
5. In a large bowl gently mix wild rice, cranberry halves, oil, and vinegar. Stir in 2 tablespoons cranberry syrup; taste and add up to 1/4 cup more syrup to sweeten and moisten salad as desired. Stir in green onions. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or up to 1 day.
6. Stir in walnuts before serving.
Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe (69 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount per serving
Calories from fat 77
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 293 mg
Total Carbohydrates 20 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 8%
King County Washington Public Health
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright. Please take the time to request permission.