CAESAR SALAD, DRESSING AND SALAD
6 Cloves Garlic
1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 Ounce Parmesan Cheese -- cubed
3 Whole Eggs
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1 Tablespoon Key Lime Juice
5 Each Anchovy Fillets
1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Cup Canola Oil
3 Cups White Bread -- 1/2" cubes
3 Cloves Garlic -- peeled and crushed
1 Teaspoon Mixed Herbs (thyme, basil & oregano)
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Heads Romaine Lettuce
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese -- grated
Place garlic cloves, pepper, and Parmesan Cheese in food processor, and process 1 minute.
Add remaining ingredients except oils and process 30 seconds.
Add oil slowly while processing. (You can use all olive oil if desired for stronger flavor).
Use within 48 ours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix garlic, herbs and olive oil in a small bowl. Let sit for 15-30 minutes. Drizzle oil over bread cubes through fine mesh strainer, and toss to coat the bread evenly.
Place on baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 10-15 minutes. Cool.
Tear washed and dried Romaine (Cos) lettuce into large pieces.
Place in large bowl, drizzle with dressing and toss to coat lightly, add croutons and grated cheese and toss to coat evenly. Serve immediately.
NOTES : VARIATIONS
• USE PLAIN LIME JUICE if Key Limes are unavailable.
• FOR AN EGGLESS DRESSING, substitute 6 ounces TOFU drained, instead of eggs. Proceed as in step 1) above, but process for 1 minute, scrape sides of bowl then process until mixture is smooth. Proceed with remainder of recipe as above.
FOR VEGETARIAN DRESSING, use Tofu, leave out Parmesan cheese and anchovies, increase lime juice to 1 1/2 TB and add 1/4 tsp salt.
CROUTONS may be made with dried herbs and powdered garlic, straining oil is not necessary.
• Try using Red Wine Vinegar instead of Key Lime Juice.
• Try using 1-2 tsp dry mustard instead of Dijon mustard
• Coddle eggs for 45 seconds to 1 minute.