CAESAR, CHIPOTLE CAESAR SALAD
Makes 6 servings
• 1 large head romaine lettuce
• 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 3 cups cubed French bread
• 12 anchovy fillets (if salt-packed, soak in milk for 5 minutes, then drain and pat dry)
• 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
• 2 teaspoons dry mustard
• 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 3 large egg yolks, at room temperature
• 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/4 cup grated Cabot Chipotle Cheddar cheese
• 1 teaspoon coarsely ground salt
1. Remove any bruised leaves from romaine. Pull head apart and cut leaves crosswise into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Wash in cold water and drain well. Pat dry and refrigerate for 30 minutes to crisp.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1/4 cup of oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bread cubes and cook, tossing frequently, until crisp and golden. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
3. Put garlic cloves in large wooden salad bowl and crush against side of bowl with back of wooden spoon. Rub all over inside of bowl, then discard (juice from garlic will remain in bowl and flavor salad).
4. Add anchovies to bowl and mash with wooden spoon. Add dry mustard, Worcestershire, lemon juice, pepper and egg yolks; whisk together well.
5. While continuing to whisk, very slowly add remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil until creamy mayonnaise-like dressing forms.
6. Add chilled lettuce, croutons, Parmesan, chipotle cheddar and salt. Toss together well and serve directly from bowl.
Calories 353 , Total Fat 25g , Saturated Fat 6g , Sodium 1008mg , Carbohydrates 19g , Dietary Fiber 2g , Protein 12g , Calcium 180mg
Recipe from Cabot Creamery Cooperative
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jon Ashton